Friday, September 4, 2020

When Characters Rebel

Recently, I was looking over my original, haphazardly scribbled notes for Guardians of Grace as I began plotting out the sequel. I was a bit surprised to see how much I veered from the original plan. Mostly this happened because a character refused to follow the outline. These are the characters who were very demanding and made me rewrite entire scenes until satisfied. Some scenes just wouldn’t be wrestled into submission until I gave up control to the character with the main Point of View for that scene.


Usually, the first rebellion comes if my characters don’t like their name. I may have carefully selected a name, building in lots of symbolism and meaning, and then the character makes me change it. My main character takes on a new identity as Faith Sparrow. I totally forgot that my original intention was to name her Faith Nightingale until I looked back at my notes. Nightingales are a symbol of love and longing, after all. But no. I found myself typing Sparrow. Sparrows, you see, are a symbol of hope, fertility and resurrection. Faith was right, of course. 


Or a character refuses the nickname I give them. Obsidian is the dragon demon in the story. I named her after Obyzouth, a fallen angel who kills newborns and causes stillbirths. Really. There are entire websites devoted to the origins of angels and demons and gods from many cultures and religions. I found Obyzouth in one of these. Of course, I planned on shortening her name to Dian. I couldn’t imagine typing out that long name all the way through the book. But she had other ideas. You see, Obsidian turned out to be a rather formidable character. She let me know pretty early on that a nickname just wasn’t appropriate for a demon of her standing. And then she insisted on upstaging the main demon/antagonist in the book (her lover) every chance she got. 


 And don’t get me started on the minor characters that refuse to sit on the sidelines after their big moment (I’m looking at you Ms. Black. You made me give you a first name, Helen, and then you kept showing up in my scenes).


Sometimes I get it right, and the characters embrace their names. Layla and Aaron Daniels, for example, are the biological parents of Grace. Layla’s name is a derivation of Laylah, an angel who oversees and protects childbirth. Aaron’s name is based on Ariel, an angel of protection. Even the last name, Daniels, is based on Diniel, an angel who protects infants. They settled into their roles without any complaint whatsoever. 


One last character who rebelled is Ethan, the reincarnation of-- well, you’ll need to read the book. My notes have Ethan as a falcon, watching over Faith and Grace. Falcons, after all, are symbols of protection-- probably because they never close their eyes, even in sleep. But no. Ethan wanted to be a hawk. I had to do extra research to figure out why he was so insistent. I discovered that in Native American culture, hawks are a symbol of power, known for their strength, courage, intelligence, and intuition. A perfectly appropriate change. But I suspect that Ethan simply wanted to be called Ethan Hawk. He does have a rather dry sense of humor, after all.


I can’t wait for you to be able to read the book. I’m working hard to find an agent and get it published, but it’s pretty competitive out there. So send me positive vibes as I keep ‘querying’!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Elusive Focus

Boo and Snow waiting for me to play ball I have so many things I want to do right now, that I can't seem to focus on a single thing.  I&...